This easy Apple Strudel recipe is filled with cinnamon, brown sugar, raisins and more! It’s a crispy, flaky pastry that’s easy to make and downright delicious.
Make sure to try my Apple Pie Recipe too! It’s the best!
Easy Puff Pastry Apple Strudel
There’s no need to fuss with homemade pastry dough when making this easy homemade strudel. Refrigerated puff pastry will give you a flaky dough that turns perfectly golden brown in the oven! I love a full from-scratch moment like the next baker, but having an easy and quick recipe to impress in your back pocket is pretty great too.
Not only can you use pre-made dough for the crust, but you can also throw together your apple filling in minutes. This classic dessert looks so beautiful, and it’s so simple to make!
What Is Apple Strudel?
Apple Strudel is a traditional pastry from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The name is German, and the dish was made famous by the Viennese. You know, fun facts to know and tell.
Apple Strudel is also the state pastry of Texas! Did you know that? And you may or may not know that while I live in NJ, I grew up in Houston, Texas! It’s a long-time family favorite in tons of homes around the world. This version is how we enjoy apple strudel at my house.
What Pastry is Used for Strudel?
A traditional apple strudel recipe (Apfelstrudel) is made with strudel dough. It’s a soft dough that’s hand stretched into a long, thin sheet.
To make things simpler and to save time, this version calls for refrigerated puff pastry dough. I find that it works wonders for strudel if you let it thaw out completely.
Hop to the bottom of this post for the full recipe card with all the exact measurements!
- Granny Smith Apples: Peel the skin off your apples and slice them into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Lemon Juice
- Brown Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- All Purpose Flour
- Golden Raisins:Golden raisins are made from white grapes rather than red ones, and they taste incredible in this strudel!
- Puff Pastry: Use a store-bought puff pastry for quick prep. But make sure to fully thaw it out on the counter before making this dish. There will be thawing instructions on the box!
- Egg Wash. Which is simply a combination of egg and milk
- Coarse Sugar. Which is optional, but I love the sweet crunch it gives the top of the buttery pastry.
What Are the Best Apples to Use for Strudel?
Granny Smith apples are my go-to when it comes to this strudel. They’ll hold their shape and hold their texture after baking.
There are other kinds of apples you can use as well, including Honey Crisp or Fuji apples. Just make sure the variety you’re using is crisp enough to hold its own in the oven’s heat.
How to Make Apple Strudel
The full recipe details are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post!
Make the apple filling by mixing together the apples, lemon juice, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, flour and raisins in a large bowl.
Thaw the pastry according to the package directions and place the pastry onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Roll it out just slightly using a rolling pin so it’s all even thickness.
Spread the apple mixture evenly down the center of the pastry, lengthwise and then fold the sides of the dough around the apples. Seal the dough together by lightly wetting the pastry and pressing it together. You can also cut the edges of the dough into strips like I’ve shown in the photo and fold them decoratively like a braid. Get creative!
Brush the top of the pastry with an egg wash, which is simply an egg and milk whisked together. This will give the strudel a glossy golden brown color as it bakes. Sprinkle it with your coarse sugar and then bake it for 35 – 40 minutes in a 400°F oven.
Tips for the Best Homemade Apple Strudel
- Make Criss-Cross Pattern with Pastry: It’s easy to cut the sides of the pastry into strips and fold it decoratively! Just cross the strips over each other alternately and seal them lightly with water.
- Serve Warm: This strudel is best served after about 10 minutes of cooling time, but certainly can be enjoyed at room temperature as well.
- Assemble on the Baking Sheet: Be sure to fill and close your strudel on the baking sheet. It’s quite difficult to pick it up and move it before it’s cooked.
- Top with A Scoop Of Vanilla Ice Cream: Serve your warm strudel with creamy vanilla ice cream for an unforgettable treat! Add a drizzle of caramel sauce to really take it to another level!
- A Dollop Of Whipped Cream on top makes this really delish!
- Add Icing: My 3 Ingredient Sugar Cookie Icing makes a great topping for this pastry too.
- Serve with Milk: This strudel tastes wonderful with a cold glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee!
- Dust with powdered sugar. This will give your strudel a pretty, yet simple look!
How to Store Strudel
Your strudel can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to 3 days! To reheat it, warm it in the oven or the toaster oven at 350°F.
Looking For More Apple Recipes? Try These:
This easy Apple Strudel is filled with cinnamon, brown sugar, raisins and more! It’s a crispy, flaky pastry that’s easy to make and downright delicious.
- 3 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 sheet thawed puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Optional – 1/4 cup coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, flour and raisins. Stir to coat evenly.
- Place the pastry onto the baking sheet and roll it out slightly, using a rolling pin to make it even.
- Spread the apple mixture evenly down the center of the pastry lengthwise.
- Fold the sides of the pastry around the apples. Seal the dough together by lightly wetting the pastry and pressing it together. Alternately, you can cut the sides of the pastry into strips and fold it decoratively, crossing the strips over each other, sealing them lightly with water.
- Whisk together the egg and the milk. Lightly brush the top of the pastry with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Keywords: apple strudel, apple strudel recipe, apple dessert, apple dessert recipe, strudel recipe, strudel, baked apples, baked apples recipe
Want To Save This Recipe?
Find more recipes like this:
PIN for later: