This southern fried cabbage makes a great side dish, or just add some of our cornbread and make a meal out of it. If you’ve never tried this fried cabbage, we can’t recommend it enough. Honestly, when it hits the dinner table….just give me a fork and get out of the way. It’s THAT good! I feel like people really underestimate cabbage. It’s such a versatile vegetable and a staple in our homes.
SOUTHERN FRIED CABBAGE INGREDIENTS:
- bacon, cooked crisp
- bacon drippings
- onion, peeled and chopped
- green pepper, chopped (can use a combination of both red and green)
- minced garlic
- small head cabbage, chopped
- black pepper
- Cajun seasoning, (optional)
- chicken broth
Scroll down for the full printable recipe card.
SOUTHERN FRIED CABBAGE NOTES:
- This dish makes about six servings and could easily be doubled for a larger group or family dinner.
- Here is a recipe to make your own Cajun seasoning. If you don’t like Cajun seasoning, you can certainly leave it out and add the seasonings you enjoy.
- You could easily make this dish with smoked sausage, polish sausage, chicken sausage, or smoked turkey.
- I’ve never tried this dish with turkey bacon, but you could certainly try it. If you don’t have bacon grease, just add a bit more butter. You can also leave the bacon out.
- We make Southern fried cabbage in a cast iron skillet. Just make sure you use a non-stick pan for the best results.
- This dish should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for 4-5 days.
- Easily heat it up in the microwave or toss it back into a skillet and heat it through.
- I’ve been known to heat this up the next day and serve it with a fried egg over it for breakfast. Give it a try!
“OMG. The Southern Fried Cabbage is SOOOOOO good. I served it with Sweet cornbread, because that’s the style my husband loves. I love your recipes and try something new each week.”-Sharon
Southern Fried Cabbage
This recipe is one your family will love. Super easy to make and the perfect side dish.
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 to 6 slices of bacon cooked crisp
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sweet green pepper chopped (can use a combination of both red and green)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 small head cabbage chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth
Cook bacon until crisp, remove from pan and drain on paper towel. Set bacon aside. Remove excess bacon drippings from pan reserving 2 tablespoons. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter into the bacon drippings in your pan
Add chopped onion, peppers, minced garlic, chopped cabbage, salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning and chicken broth to pan. Cook on medium low heat, covered for 15 to 20 minutes until cabbage reaches the consistency of softness you like. Some people like their cabbage kind of crispy while others like it well done. Remove from heat, crumble bacon on top, sprinkle with paprika. Makes about 6 servings.
OTHER CABBAGE DISHES YOU MAY LIKE:
- Sausage and Cabbage Casserole
- Cajune Cabbage Jambalaya
- Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Crock Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips, and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking, and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join thousands of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Follow us on Instagram!
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.