This Easy Cheesy Breakfast Casserole is one your family will love. Super easy to make, very similar to a quiche but with less eggs and reheats really well. We love the sausage in this dish, combined with the green chilis and pimentos the flavor is wonderful.
Easy Cheesy Breakfast Casserole Ingredients Needed:
Pork Breakfast Sausage
Green Bell Pepper
All Purpose Flour
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
This dish is simple ingredients and would be the perfect addition to any breakfast or brunch. So many people will say “I don’t like cottage cheese, can I use something else” you can always use ricotta but you can’t taste the cottage cheese. I have never tasted it in any recipe where you actually bake it. The cheese melts, just like any other cheese. We topped this with sour cream and we all loved it.
There are a few changes you could make this dish:
- Use turkey sausage for a lighter dish
- Use smoked sausage or turkey smoked sausage to make it lighter
- Cottage Cheese is a great protein source, so if you are looking for a higher protein breakfast, switch out the sausage for turkey sausage and keep the cottage cheese and you have a much higher protein option.
- Switch out the sour cream for Greek yogurt.. which is lower calorie and high in protein
- Use whichever shredded cheese your family enjoys
This dish also reheats well, so you could make it on a Sunday and enjoy it a few mornings. We made this in a pie plate and it worked great!
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Easy Cheesy Breakfast Casserole
This easy cheesy breakfast casserole is one your family will love. Super simple and so good!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/2 pound pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 ounce can green chilis drained
- 4 ounce can pimentos drained
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese could use whatever cheese you like
Brown sausage and green pepper in skillet on top of stove. Drain, if needed.
Stir in green chilis and pimentos.
In a bowl combine flour, salt, pepper, cottage cheese, melted butter. Stir to combine. Stir in eggs.
Spray a 10 inch pie pan or a baking dish and pour in the flour and cottage cheese, egg mixture.
Spread sausage mixture on top and shredded cheese on top of sausage.
Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 35 minutes.
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.
Click here to follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.